Although you as a returning resident is already familiiar with life in jamaica may not be entirely familiar with what is required when you plan to return.
In this article we will take a look at what is required for the returning resident who plans to move to Jamaica.
Perhaps the first consideration of a returning resident is to procure a home whether it is a house or the purchase of a lot of land with the ultimate construction of a house.
Its always best to use a real estate broker. They will ask you a couple of questions so as to determine your interests and your price point and they usually have a database of properties which are available .
If you have lived abroad, and are planning on moving to Jamaica as a returning resident, please note that you must satisfy at least one of the following criteria.
1. Be a Jamaican national of at least 18 years old, who:
2. has lived abroad for the most recent 3 consecutive years,
3. is returning to permanently live in Jamaica.
4. Be a Jamaican who has renounced your foreign citizenship, can prove that previous status, and wants to move to Jamaica to live.
5. Be a Jamaican student of at least 18 years of age, who has studied abroad for more than one year but less than 3 consecutive years.
6. Be a Non-Jamaican whose is married to a Jamaican Returning Resident.
7. A Deportee who has lived abroad for the most recent 3 consecutive years
Important Note: A couple – husband and wife- will get only one concession if they return together or within three years of each other.
If you are moving to Jamaica and want to import your items under the Returning Resident status, you must visit the Jamaica Customs Agency Returning Residents Unit located at Myers’ Wharf, Newport East, Kingston 15, and submit the following:
• Valid Jamaican or foreign passport with the unconditional landing endorsement stamp
• Validated Bill of Lading or Airway Bill for the items being imported (you would get this from the freight forwarder who is handling your shipment)
• Jamaican Taxpayers Registration Number (TRN)
• Proof of foreign of 3 or more consecutive years.
• Returning Students will need a transcript, student’s I-20, letter of attendance from last institution of study and the institution’s identification card.
• Deportees will need their Deportation Order and case file.
It is important to know that you may receive Returning Resident concession ONLY ONCE.
If for any reason you find that you must leave Jamaica to reside abroad, after you have already benefitted from the Jamaican returning resident concessions, you may not receive the concession upon your return.
There are very few exceptions and these require very detailed records and reports, such as:
• You are consistently being relocated in the service of your country
• You have very specific diplomatic immunity
• Your job requires you to travel and spend extended time (years) abroad
If you will be taking your personal effects and returning with them, you should ensure that this is documented on all of you shipping documents before they are shipped out of the country. Take care to keep your copies of the documents, as you will be required to produce them when the items are being re-imported.
If you are requesting special exemptions from import taxes or duties, you must write to the Ministry of Finance or Ministry of Foreign Affairs, depending on the reason for the request.
You are generally entitled to at least one or one set of standard household items. For more specific information, Click here for Entitlement
Personal motor vehicles
The age limit on personal motor vehicles for import is five years. There are, however, some concessions for returning residents. For more information, click Trade Board Limited, which is responsible for granting Import Licenses for motor vehicle importation.
Pets and Plants
Before importing your pet(s) and/or plant(s), you will need to get an Import Permit from the Veterinary Services Division and/or the Plant Quarantine Division of the Ministry Of Agriculture.
You may also visit Jamaica Customs website www.jacustoms.gov.jm for additional information.
IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION
Returning Resident Unit
Jamaica Customs Agency
Myers’ Wharf, Newport East
Telephone: 750 3098 or 750 3005
Jamaica Customs Agency
Montego Bay Revenue Service Centre Bldg
18B Howard Cooke Blvd., Montego Bay, St James
Telephone: 952-0000 extension 2023
Diaspora and Consular Affairs Department
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade
21 Dominica Drive,
Telephone: 926 4220